Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

“Wheel spacers are for idiots…!”

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Wheel spacers are for idiots…!”

“Wheel spacers are for idiots…!” That’s what I was told when I went into a local rim shop while shopping for new shoes for my G.

An old man behind the counter with a history of plaques, trophies, and photos hung on the wall behind him confirming his past presence in the world of auto racing explained to me why it was that in this new era of auto enthusiasts, many of us who search and seek out wheels spacers for the purpose of “looks” end up dampening the performance and handling factor of today’s prestigious automotive machines.

Now I’m no expert with regards to this, and so what he ended up pitching to support this theory (or fact to him) in all honesty did somewhat match up and made somewhat sense to my elementary knowledge regarding this. In short, he stated that due to the extension of length at which the wheels will now protrude from the hub, aside from the power loss to the wheels as a direct result of power travel (forgot what his technical name of this he had said, but it's the same issue with front engine, RWD cars that lose power inertia through the drive axle), there is the added stress to the suspension components, therefore increase the risk of mechanical failure during aggressive driving conditions (turns, acceleration, braking, etc.).

I will admit that at first it didn’t make much sense, but when he used an extreme example of the situation to paint the picture, I kind of started to buy into this. He used as example all of those late model, low riding Buick Regals, Chevy Monte Carlos, and so on that drive around with the tiny 13” multi-spoke wheels and whitewalls sticking way out of the fender area. I’m sure most of you guys have seen them right? Well using those vehicles as examples, he asked that rim size factor aside, “how do you think those axles and other suspension components are taking the stress factor when the vehicle faces emergency maneuvering situations, or the driver want to perform some aggressive driving for the fun of it?”. Then an a full picture image of the situation started to make somewhat sense to me.

Now as he stated, of course in comparison to what I was asking for with regards to wheel spacer size, those low riders in the example provided are extreme, but the basic concept is there. Factor in the fact that today’s vehicles for which we search and seek out these spacers are designed from manufacturers for everyday driving and occasional aggressive/emergency situations that may arise, therefore incorporating “weaker” and more cost efficient parts and components that all in all, compose the suspension designs of our vehicles. Adding per say an extra ½ to 1” extension at each wheel hub may not seem as much to us, but in the grand scheme of things in relation to the mechanical components of the suspension, it’s quite a bit of hardship.

Whew…!!! What do you guys think? Yay or Nay on wheels spacers? I know we’ve probably all heard horror stories with regards to these and the dangers of having a wheel fly out while rolling if not bolted and tightened up right, but with all that and the preventive measures one could possibly take, are they still worth it? Safety and performance wise that is.

Tire and wheel expertsw, please share your opinion on this, since now I am all confused on this and I assume others are riding the same boat of confusion as I am...

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I've always been anti spacer imo but using a small one is one, you don't wanna use a huge spacer and something happens when your driving. The stories I've heard weren't so good so I've stayed away from them.

Last edited by daE_35; 12-26-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:51 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I could use a small spacer up front to make the wheels sit flush, but since I track the car I won't use spacers. I think for daily driving (and probably even the track) a small spacer is fine and should not cause any problems... but I'd rather not risk it since it does nothing positive for performance.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
like said above they are just for looks and they do no good for performance also they do put more stress on the wheel bearing

Old 12-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
in terms of stress, i doubt it would be much more than if you had those effective offsets to begin with.

so by saying a -5 offset will wear your wheel bearings faster than a +30 is theoretically correct.

Also, with the range of offsets available for wheels that look good on a g/z, if you wanna wait/pay , you shouldnt have to use spacers anyhow.

A set of 4 spacers is over 200$. gotta remember that when you find a good deal on high offset wheels.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by str8dum1
in terms of stress, i doubt it would be much more than if you had those effective offsets to begin with.

so by saying a -5 offset will wear your wheel bearings faster than a +30 is theoretically correct.

Also, with the range of offsets available for wheels that look good on a g/z, if you wanna wait/pay , you shouldnt have to use spacers anyhow.

A set of 4 spacers is over 200$. gotta remember that when you find a good deal on high offset wheels.
true.. just get the right offset for the look you want!

Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Wheel Spacers or....?

Most wheels shops and all the alignment shops (including mine) tell you to
forget spacers, they're not worth the risk! Order your wheels with the
correct backspacing and you won't need spacers....
Gary

Old 12-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I won't use em either, Just get a rim that fits right or really close

Old 12-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gahh i wish i had oems with bigger backspacing!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Somebody better get a hold of these guys and tell them, cause they're using them.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...t_2/index.html

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
i run them if need be....

Old 12-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why do people run spacers? to give the "flush" look. and the key term here is "look". No one running spacers can or ever should admit otherwise

Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I had 5mm spacers on the front of my G to get the M45 wheels to clear the upper arms. When I got new wheels at Discount Tire, they would not let me leave the shop with ANY kind of spacer on. It you have spacers, they will sell you the wheels, but they wont put them on or warrant them.

Lucky my new wheels had a perfect flush fit.

Name:  100_0373.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  67.5 KB

Here are the M45's:

Name:  SANY0010.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  84.0 KB

Last edited by Texasscout; 12-30-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this thread made me cancel my order for 20mm and 25mm spacers for my stockies! thanx guys, last thing i need is something bad happening.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I ran spacers before, and I did end up changing both my rear hubs. I believe it does put additional stress onto your suspension.

Just get the right offset wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: “Wheel spacers are for idiots…!”