G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clutch Pedal sticking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
I had the same problem last summer when it got hot in NC and I was spending any amount of time in traffic. My solution was to drain the DOT3 and replace with DOT4. Just used a little automotive syringe and took me about 30 minutes, give or take. Worked great last summer but noticed the problem begin to pop up again just before I deployed this summer so I'll check out Hotel's suggestion and replace the fluid again when I get back. It's easy enough to do and I'd rather try stuff we can easily do ourselves before talking to dealers, personally.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my pedal is sticking constantly and it is driving me crazy.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03' track... Soon to be race car.
I have posted a thread about this exact issue in the DFWGClub portion of this forum. I am an Infiniti tech, and have seen this problem many many times. The primary problem Is the lubrication for the pedal assembly....however clutch fluid is a contributing factor. My best recomendation is all of whats been already posted. Pull the pedal out (3x12mm nuts and a pin from the clutch master) take it apart and lube it with a high quality grease...lithium works fine, however i recomend the Nissan silicone grease, it stays put for alot longer. That along with changing out the fluid for a GOOD dot 3 or 4 (preferably dot 4 synthetic) should take care of this issue all together. There have been a few instances where i have had to take apart and clean out the master and slave cylinders because of the orange(rust) deposits left behind by the oem fluid. But i have never replaced a clutch or either of the cylinders for this particular problem.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Ive been telling everyone that all along, but noone listens...

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah I know....btw impressed, most of the techs in my shop didn't even know this fix until I tought them. My pedal was doing the same thing that's how I came up with it. Its not hard and only takes a minimal amound of tools.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Sen
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey guys, I've had this issue recently, and it most definitely is due to the heat. And here in Orlando, it's been hot as ***** lately...

Anyways, I'm inclined to lean towards Hotel's fix first (although, I will need to replace clutch and brake fluid soon, anyways). So I have a couple questions...

How difficult is it to locate this shaft?

Can I get lithium grease from Autozone (or the like)?

Of course, if there are any pics, that would be cool, but I'll try and look around further. I'm not interested in having the dealership work on my car if I can avoid it. After reading all these stories, most people say they have the clutch fluid replaced, master cylinder replaced, or slave cylinder replaced, etc. But who's to say that while they were at it, they relubed your clutch pedal shaft? We all know shops like to do a "while we're at it, let's do..." kinda thing. So then it's difficult to figure out what actually fixed the problem if they applied multiple solutions.

Going back to my car specifically, the pedal disengages the clutch itself just fine (ie: very little or no slip), but it will stick about 2 inches from fully disengaged. Doesn't that seem like it would be a "sticky pedal" issue rather than bad fluid/cylinder/clutch?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by Sen
Hey guys, I've had this issue recently, and it most definitely is due to the heat. And here in Orlando, it's been hot as ***** lately...

Anyways, I'm inclined to lean towards Hotel's fix first (although, I will need to replace clutch and brake fluid soon, anyways). So I have a couple questions...

How difficult is it to locate this shaft?

Can I get lithium grease from Autozone (or the like)?

Of course, if there are any pics, that would be cool, but I'll try and look around further. I'm not interested in having the dealership work on my car if I can avoid it. After reading all these stories, most people say they have the clutch fluid replaced, master cylinder replaced, or slave cylinder replaced, etc. But who's to say that while they were at it, they relubed your clutch pedal shaft? We all know shops like to do a "while we're at it, let's do..." kinda thing. So then it's difficult to figure out what actually fixed the problem if they applied multiple solutions.

Going back to my car specifically, the pedal disengages the clutch itself just fine (ie: very little or no slip), but it will stick about 2 inches from fully disengaged. Doesn't that seem like it would be a "sticky pedal" issue rather than bad fluid/cylinder/clutch?
It is the clutch pedal actuator. Go to autozone and buy a can of lithium grease and a can of carb cleaner and crawl under ur dash and lube the clutch pedal actuator shaft after you clean it with the carb cleaner

Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 AM
make sure u actuate the pedal while cleaning it and lubing it. Wipe the shaft off with a rag after using the break cleaner.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T3K_V35
I have posted a thread about this exact issue in the DFWGClub portion of this forum. I am an Infiniti tech, and have seen this problem many many times. The primary problem Is the lubrication for the pedal assembly....however clutch fluid is a contributing factor. My best recomendation is all of whats been already posted. Pull the pedal out (3x12mm nuts and a pin from the clutch master) take it apart and lube it with a high quality grease...lithium works fine, however i recomend the Nissan silicone grease, it stays put for alot longer. That along with changing out the fluid for a GOOD dot 3 or 4 (preferably dot 4 synthetic) should take care of this issue all together. There have been a few instances where i have had to take apart and clean out the master and slave cylinders because of the orange(rust) deposits left behind by the oem fluid. But i have never replaced a clutch or either of the cylinders for this particular problem.
Does this process also work on the clutch popping problem????

Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM
what clutch pupping problem would ou be refering to?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Sen
Is this the potential culprit?

Name:  ClutchPedalDiagram.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
thats the clutch master cylinder rod. As far as lubrication look a little highr for the main hinge on the actual pedal assembly. it will be horizontaly opposed and almost directly above that.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Sen
Ahh okay, I know what you're talking about. Thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Sen
Name:  clutchhinge.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  38.1 KB

So this thing with the spring-looking thing?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
thats it...and the part that its connected to, with what looks like a white bushing right above the spring. there is a bolt that acts as a hinge that goes through that. that bolt/hinge is what need the lubrication the most. soooooo, 3x 12mm nuts, 1x cotterpin for the clutch master plunger, 2x switches to disconect, and i think 1x wiring hares clip = the whole pedal assembly comes out. take the whole thing apart grease it up and put it back together and aback in, and you should be golden.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal sticking